Stories from the front lines of an unplanned pregnancy.

Saturday, December 1, 2007

My grandma will kick your grandma's ass any day...

So, yesterday was the first time I've seen my grandmother since I broke "the news". Bum bum buuuuuum!! And true to form, we both did everything in our power to avoid even the slightest allusion to not only my pregnancy, but pregnancy in general, infants, babies, toddlers, children, their parents, the circle of life-- basically, anything that could even begin to remind her that I was knocked up. Which made it all the funnier that somewhere between Africa and Dino-Rama we had this exchange:

Grandma: Digs a pen out of her purse to mark one of the two straws in their large coke with an A for Alex.
Alex: Um... You know it's not contagious, right?
Grandma: Yeah. (Beat) But slut is.

And then for about three minutes we laughed so hard we couldn't breathe. This, my friends, is why my grandmother is amazing. Also, why everyone in my family is terrified of her.

See? It's in the genes.

With love and hereditary cruelty,
a.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i miss abuela! tell tata that i love her and miss her!